PrePost

Hey ladies, it is crazy how this class has only girls in but this is my blog and I am going to tell you a little about myself before introducing my topic. My name is Brianna Wilson-Hooper, I am a junior here at Eastern Illinois University, I am currently majoring in health administration and I am really loving this major so far. I plan on becoming a nurse practitioner once I graduate and start my career. I am from the North side of Chicago (Cabrini Green Area) but my mom, dad and brothers currently reside near the Chicago loop. I come from neighborhoods that aren't the safest and have definitely made the news due to gun violence. How many of us can attest to watching the news, constantly seeing that the death rate is going up due to gun crimes? I know I can, and honestly it feels like it is becoming the norm for someone to lose their life to a senseless act of violence.

Everyday I worry about the men and young boys in my family specifically my little brothers and cousin who is only a year and half younger than me because young men in their age groups are the ones who seem to have the targets on their backs. And everyday I hope that I don't read an article one day saying that someone from my family has been recently killed, I know we all do. Unfortunately I have experienced losing friends to gun violence or just people I have known throughout my life and it is even more sickening when it's someone you know.


As I write this blog I would like to figure out where all this gun violence began and why it has gotten so out of hand. I want to try and come up ways that can help stop this terrible epidemic. Remember, bullets don't have a name on them but we can come up with ways to communicate to our peers that this is a problem and by starting off small a bigger impact can be made.

Comments